Crick History Society
Meetings take place on the second Wednesday of each month.
The society’s annual programme of talks and events may be viewed by following this link and then choosing the relevant month.
Crick History Society committee
Liz Sweeney – Chairman
Dave Sulley – Secretary
Dawn Symons – Events
Fred Norton – Treasurer
Bryan Turner – Vice Chairman
Jim Goodger – Archivist
Meetings in the village are normally free to current members of Crick History Society; visitors/guests are welcome (£2 fee per session).
Crick History Society welcomes anyone who is interested in local history. The society acts as a focus for associated events, carrying out research projects, and handling heritage-related enquiries. If you have something of interest - documents, photographs or postcards, artefacts (or even an old house!) - we will be very pleased to hear from you. In addition to its programme of lectures, events and outings, the society is responsible for the 'History Notes' in the Crick Review, and also manages the Digital Archive. The society was also responsible for re-introducing the 'Crick Feast' into the village. Finally, it acts as a point of contact with those researching family history connections with the village.
Recent and Current Projects
Amongst the recent projects carried out by Crick History Society are:
War Memorial: This ongoing project provides information about each name on the Crick War Memorial, so that their sacrifices are not forgotten. A book is available on the work carried out so far - 'Crick's Roll of Honour', for details, follow this link. The project is being extended to include details of those who went to World War 1 and returned. This is being coordinated by Danny Tolfts.
Crick Feast: The History Society revived the Crick Feast over the first weekend of October in 2011 and 2014, and it will be a part of the village calendar in every second year. The Feast was a feature of annual life in Crick from medieval times until the early 20th century - a fair lasting several days was traditionally held in the village each autumn, to celebrate the 'inning' of the harvest. The revived Crick Feast takes 'our village heritage' as its theme, through village exhibitions and events including the two churches decorated for the Harvest Festival services on the Sunday. An attempt to revive the Feast in 1928 did not succeed, but the sentiments expressed in Rev. Hatherley's 1928 letter (click here to view) are embraced in the modern revival.
Footpaths and Heritage Trail: Routes through the village and footpaths to the parish boundary are decscribed, together with points of historic interest. The information, together with a contextual introduction about the village, is available in two books entitled 'Walks & More' and 'Crick Heritage Trail', for details follow this link.
Crick Historic Building Record: as another aspect of the effort to explore Crick's history in earlier centuries, a massive long-term project is being carried out to digitally record the deeds of as many old houses in the village as possible. This huge database of documentary evidence will then be used (together with data from parish registers, tax and census returns and other sources) to reconstruct the history of each house (and that of its occupants), and hence eventually to reconstruct the history of whole areas of the village. This is a long-term and very labour-intensive project that will run for at least 4-5 years - for more details, follow this link to our house-history page.
Gravestone inscriptions: The Rugby Family History Group website (for link to this site, see our Links page) hosts the transcripts of gravestone inscriptions for St Margaret's Church Crick (the graveyard is now closed). These records do not include details from the present church graveyard, or from the United Reform Church graveyard (which is also now closed) - these two sets of records are scheduled to be recorded as a future project.
Crick News History Notes: Part of the work of the History Society is to provide History Note features for each edition of Crick News. These feature articles are all archived on this website, and they may be browsed by following this link.
The Bells of St Margaret's Church: The belfry contains 8 bells, 4 dating from the early 17th century and 4 added in 1996. The history of the bells has been researched by Geoff Brown.
Hostelries of Crick: A study of the pubs of Crick has been published and is available online at this address.
Rectors of Crick: A study of this subject is currently being carried out by Jeff Day.
History of Crick: Researched by Alan Bale, and a small number of hard copies of his report are available.
Crick People: A collection of illustrative biographies of a few of Crick's colourful people, reflecting the development of the village's character through the ages. The book includes three Lords of the Manor, an Archbishop of Canterbury, several rectors - some of them good, some not so good! - a champion of impoverished canal children, a local artist, a motor cycling champion, a racing driver and pilot, the first 'gong' man, a pop group, an industrialist, and a Crick Treacle Miner - all in 'A Few Crick People', now available in our book list.
1910 Valuer's Book for Crick: The 1910 valuer's notes have been digitised (the original is held at the The National Archives in Kew); they are being transcribed and analysed by Jim Goodger, with present-day locations identified for each entry wherever possible.
Crick Digital Information Archive: This contains much more of the type of information that is reproduced on this site. The archive aims to preserve our village heritage by capturing in digital format such records as photographs, postcards, deeds, documents, certificates, insurance policies, bills etc - and in addition, the digital transcripts of Enclosure records, census returns, parish registers, Hearth Tax and Land Tax returns, old wills and inventories, and much other information relating to the village.
Crick Manorial Documents: Gren Hatton is carrying out a long-term project to transcribe and analyse the hundreds of manorial documents for Crick that are held in the archive of St John's College, Oxford. There are well over 500 documents, some of them dating back to the 1200s - and most of them are written in medieval Latin or Old French, in addition to being extremely difficult to decipher! This massive project, which has already been running for about 5 years, is fully described elsewhere on this site (access to this area requires registration).
200th Anniversary of Crick Canal: Crick History Society organised a weekend on 9th and 10th August 2014 to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of the official opening of Crick Tunnel and the canal at Crick on 9th August 1814. The original opening had been attended by Canal Company worthies. This time the local dignitaries included the Chairs of Northamptonshire County Council, Daventry District Council, Crick Parish Council and Vice-Chair of Market Harborough District Council plus the Chief Executive Officer of Canal & River Trust. A plaque was unveiled at the start of two days of celebration, which included demonstration of canal arts and crafts, demonstration of working canal horses, and canal antiques. Crick History Society mounted an exhibition of the canal, tunnel and wharf, which was supported by re-enactor Andrew Ashmore taking the role of Benjamin Bevan the civil engineer for this arm of the canal. Restored canal boats 'President' and 'Kildare' demonstrated what living conditions were like in boatman’s cabins, and the steam engine was of interest to many. A major attraction was being taken through the tunnel by boat and carried back to the wharf in a 1929 Midland Red charabanc. A book - 'Crick and the Canal' has been produced to record the event and information about the canal in Crick Parish
New projects are launched at fairly regular intervals. For more details, or for any general enquiries, please contact the secretary, Keith Liggins, Tel: 01788 822781, or the chairman, Jim Goodger, Tel: 01788 822723.